Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Wonderful weather

the last couple of days.

Yesterday was spent with an old friend from Uni.  We boated and she operated the three swing bridges for me which was a big help although these ones appear to have moorings on the correct side.  We had lunch that she had brought with her then we cycled back to our cars.  Considering we have not seen each other since 1997 it was like we had never been apart.  Good friends are like that.

Due to the landslip at Hatfield there are no trains so the unique sliding railway bridge at Keadby was left open.  As we cycled back over it we were able to have a good look at how it worked.  The signal man was very chatty understandably as he has absolutely nothing to do all shift!  It was the same for the signal men at all the swing bridges.  The night shift apparently go to sleep!

Today the weather was so fabulous that I made the decision to move a further two swing bridges and still be able to visit my friend for dinner tonight.  They were both very easy to do solo due to the moorings on the operating side and  I had only one vehicle turn away in disgust!

Yesterday my friend had brought a proper bike for me to use so the grassy towpath wasn't a problem.  Today it was a little exciting on the electric bike with it's tiny wheels.  I think I can safely say it is not an offroad bike, I was airborne rather more than I would have liked in normal mode so I had to do it in Eco/slow mode.




2 comments:

Mike and Poppy said...

Hello K.

Just a small update. A short stoppage on the Tinsley Flight due to a broken pump. (water is pumped from the river Don to maintain water levels above the top lock) According to Dave the Lockie - things should be back to normal for the weekend.

Regards

Mick

nb.bobcat said...

Currently at South Bramwith will start moving again Sunday/Monday towards Sheffield. I am assuming the lockies do not work at weekends so plan to go through Tinsley Thurs/Friday all things being equal.