Thursday, 9 May 2013

Tinsley Flight etc

Impressive water feature here and on several of the other locks.

I was a little late getting to Holmes Lock as I found Rotherham Town Lock and Ickles Lock were hard to do solo.  Mooring up before and after was a tad time consuming and Rotherham Lock required the paddles all lowering before operating the lock then after going through you had to crank them up again at both ends before locking them in place.  Ickles Lock in particular was tough as the moorings below the lock had three lovely bollards on the right but no ladder while on the left there was a ladder but no bollards.  I chose the left side because the right side was just too high for me to get off the roof of the boat safely or even in a mildly dignified manner. 

Mick from Rose of Arden and Dave the Lock Keeper arrived together to help me up the flight.  

They are both absolute stars.

Didn't manage to speak much to Mick as he kept setting the locks in front but hopefully we can have a longer chat in a couple of days.


Large Weir after Jordans Lock

So this is Sheffield

On the other side of this bank is Meadowhall!  

This is Locks 7 & 8 amalgamated together.  Not quite Tuel Lane but impressive nonetheless.

Small boy

Small boy stuffing his face in borrowed coat.
It was good to catch up with him as we have not seen each other for ages.  Since he is the reason for me venturing into the city and he is working all weekend I suppose technically I should just turn around and go back again!

It started to rain hard just before getting to Victoria Quays so I have hunkered down and he has rushed off to work.  Hopefully I will hit the sights/shops tomorrow and Saturday.

No excuse not to do some work myself now.

Ho hum.



2 comments:

Naughty-Cal said...

Had we known you would have been in Sheffield last night we would have popped down for a cuppa. Unfortunately we are heading from Sheffield to Lincoln tonight to do some boating of our own!!

nb.bobcat said...

Well we are moving to Tinsley for Sunday night prior to setting off down the flight proper on Monday. Then it is all points north. Sorry to have missed you.