Wednesday, 8 May 2013

oh dear I think I am losing my mojo

today I dipped my toe in the water for no apparent reason and nearly lost a nail on my right hand (slight exaggeration) clinging on (this is making typing difficult,)

I still did another lock before thinking my life jacket might not be a bad thing! Der.

This photo is one that didn't get deleted yesterday. It is the approach to Keadby.  This railway bridge used to lift to let the big boys through.  Now they can get so far and no further.  Glad they were tied up.

I knew I should have moved further yesterday in the bright sunshine.  So today's photos are of a slightly damp hue.  I have finally used my umberella ella ella as it was not blowing a hooley just a bit mizzling so I kept fairly dry even if it did mean standing whilst it was raining and sitting on side when not.



We go under this tiny bit


and this is the rest of it.  Actually there is more either side but you get the idea.


Conisbrough Castle


When I woke up this morning I missed following another big commercial boat that would have had a lockie opening and closing their locks for them.  I never caught them up so I had to turn them all and operate them solo.  My electric button finger is quite sore!  The above lock is not too deep but a couple are humungous.  I do not like ladders.


They don't look too big at this distance


Bit bigger now.  A lot of walking at this lock as the lock landing is behind me and at other end you would be on the wrong side and have to walk round the lock but a lady popped out of the Waddingtons work boat and closed the gates behind me and returned me my key while I hung on to the boat.

The next lock back onto the river had all its lock landings on the wrong side as well.  I will never complain about having to walk around a double lock again!


This is Aldwarke lock (aka supermarket lock) here the landing is not only on the wrong side but next to the lock towards the weir so once you have set lock you have to reverse around the corner.


Reversing in these conditions not a problem as very wide and no boats to hit!


This is what I was following and hoping to share a lock with!

It is an oil tanker and it fills the lock completely.

Rushing to take this photo as it passed me on it's return journey I forgot I had propped the back hatch closed with a piece of wood so I clonked my head really really hard on the semi closed hatch.  I was on the phone at the time to small boy so if I had keeled over he could have alerted the media!

 (so glad I did not meet this monster whilst moving!)

Sheffield tomorrow.

No comments: