Thursday, 22 September 2011

Toss her of the day

goes to the specimen steering the ex "fully restored probably not much left of the original" working boat Stafford through Atherstone Locks on 22 9 11.

I should have known from the way he let the paddles drop with a clang.

But I still offered to close his gates for him and he just looked up shrugged and carried on.

He had one of those kerchiefs around his neck that symbolises "real boater".

I walked back up the locks and sure enough he had left lock 5 open as well.  I sincerely hope that other boaters going through all the locks after him all closed their gates as on Tuesday someone had left a paddle up and emptied the long pound.  There are restrictions on these locks for a reason.

Even if he doesn't ever close the gates behind him he could still have said thank you.

gripe over.

No comments: