Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Breezy or what ?

I delayed setting off until the afternoon but I still had a problem leaving my mooring.

Picture the scene.  I was pinned to the side by the wind - but the canal in front of me made a 90 degree bend to the left.

I decided that if I just moved forward when I got to the corner provided there wasn't anyone coming the other way the wind would blow me around the bend.

On the non towpath side around the corner are moored boats.

The wind far from helping me around the corner just wanted to move the boat sideways.  So I ended up bow to bow with the moored boat opposite with my stern resting on the bend.  Luckily for me there WAS a boat coming the other way and they stuck their bows on my stern and pushed my back end around.

So thank you to whoever you were I was so all of a fluster I never made a note of the name of the boat.

I was very picky about where I was going to moor as the wind was now pushing away from the towpath so it had to have pilings and I had a piling hook already attached to my middle rope.  It had to not have any large trees overhanging !!!  In the end where I found was reasonably sheltered so it was easy.  Plus I have the joy of small giddy shetlands on the otherside of the canal.  All in all well worth the scary beginning.

1 comment:

life afloat on nb tickety boo said...

This brings back memories of when I first got the boat, I was very much a novice and was horrified after pulling in to do a bridge and realising I was jammed against the bank by the wind. I decided to just go for it and give full throttle. This resulted in my rope fenders being dragged and jammed along the wooden jetty to such an extent that they started to smoke and burn with the friction. Needless to say I was still jammed against the bank after singeing my new rope fenders. Plan B? Stay put till the wind died down!!
Debbie.