Fabulous. I notice that this book is now for sale in the IWA shop.
I thoroughly recommend this book as being the funniest book I have ever read. It will especially appeal to anyone who owned a Mirror Dinghy in their past. This was the reason I bought the book for my Dad in the first place as he made one (also with red sail - kit form?) and we had many Swallow and Amazon type adventures on a resevoir called Barragem de St Lucia. Our dinghy was called Lucy II. Another family also had a dinghy on the Barragem - different design - that we raced against. They called their boat Bremner's Wake! My position was that of Roger so I cannot take any of the kudos for sailing technique and results.
When we moved to the Algarve for a bit my parents took part in Regattas on the sea and actually came second in one. The silver cup they got is so enormous that it's role in life has been as an umbrella and walking stick stand ever since. My brother was ill on that occasion so I was crew in the morning whilst my sister took care of him and then in the afternoon we swopped over. He decided to take his own temperature and read it as being dangerously high so I had to mop his brow with wet towels. I eventually got bored with this and left him a bowl and flannel to do it himself whilst I read a book. When they came home I calmly informed them that he was dieing. His pillow was totally drenched. My mothers reading of the thermometer was within safe levels now whether it was due to my tender ministrations or he misread it we will never know for sure!
Whilst I hope I do not suffer the same ignomonies as Sandy I do hope that I set off on a voyage of discovery once Bobcat is finished and we are off.
Back to the boat build. The bed is coming on apace and I have ordered the mattress. Woo Hoo. Second time I have cycled to the boat this week (trying to get fit for the summer!) this time I went the road way and it was much quicker and no hills. There are two going across country. Downside of the road is you do have to share your space with cars and lorries!
A big decision to make
5 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment