Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Little bits that please me


The new and improved engine control mount.


Extra little shelf in the engine room with lip so phone doesn't slide off and the coving in place


Trying out the loo for size.  See my knees!


It's the little touches that please me.  Andy felt that the gap under the pipe was too ugly so he made that little piece to slot in.  Cute.

I have acres of oiling to do in the week that Andy is roofing.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hi there,

It’s hard to tell for sure from the photograph, but I suggest that the main instrument panel area will be well exposed to the elements when cruising. As such, you should have the woodwork here really heavily coated in gloss yacht varnish before mounting the switchgear and instruments. I recommend that you interpose a suitable gasket between the instrument panel and the switch panels, etc. and the varnished woodwork. This will aid sealing from the elements and will also assist the subsequent removal of these panels, etc. when needing to gain access for replacing bulbs and so on. All panel fixings should ideally be stainless steel with a sealing washer under the head. The Beta panel itself is clearly OK from a weatherproofing perspective as is the tunnel light and horn switch panel because it uses rubber booted switchgear. Not sure about the fused panel below though – you should check that this is suitably waterproofed if you want it to keep working reliably.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Chris.

nb.bobcat said...

Thanks Chris, I will be oiling and then varnishing before the control panels go back in. Good idea about the gasket though.

The items on the upright section are the water and diesel tank gauges and the smartgauge.

The fused panel I think you are talking about is for the bilge pump. I felt that this had to be immediately accessible. John the electrician hasn't raised any objections so hopefully it will be okay. I will keep an eye on it though now.

Thanks
Kath