Thursday, 5 February 2009

Went for a walk today!

I thought it would be a good idea to take some photos of the Chesterfield Canal with snow for the calendar I produce to raise money for the working party. I have previously found it difficult to get suitably wintry photos. Having said that this year I found I didn't have any summer ones - how strange!

Anyway we three intrepid walkers set off. I may have mentioned earlier about a bridleway not suitable for horses. Here it is...



It was quite funny to see Claires face when she got to the top and came back down again sharpish.




Glad that didn't happen on the day Sam and I were up there with our horses milling around on the rails trying to find a way down! At least now they have put a barrier to stop other visiting riders from making the same mistake.
This is one of our staircase locks. We have a couple on this stretch. Putting the Chesterfield Canal in the running for the most locks in a mile.





and this is a house with an interesting front porch.

Walk was longer than intended as Yvonne and Claire took me back via Lindrick Dale where there were some interesting quirky houses. With chess boards in the garden etc and built into the cliff face. I have left it too late and most of them have been demolished to make way for some ugly millionnaires abodes. I have known about these houses for about 18 years always intending to go see them and now all gone. Replaced by huge soulless boxes and the gates ... so hideous. Who in their right mind says 'that's the gate for me it says so much about who I am?' (I really should have taken a photo of it instead I will have to leave it to your imagination - believe me you will not do it justice).
Moral of this story?
Don't leave things too late.
Oh and ask for a second opinion before you get the gate.

No comments: