
Today I thought I would go and help with the restoration of the Chesterfield Canal. I've not been since well before Xmas and then only sporadically. So I turn up on time at the Pub where I am told to meet as it is a long walk to the Lock to be played with today. We all hang around for about 3/4 of an hour waiting for the works van and caravan to turn up so that we can go in convoy locking gates behind us etc. We have divers, a pump but no pipes so we can't even get the pump working whilst waiting. Finally we discover that the Van and Caravan have made their own way to Bluebank Lock via a different route and have been waiting for us ... it was cold and good humour rapidly evaporating.
So the pipe is in the correct place so what is the hold up?Aaah

The pump needs a jump start. Anyone any jump leads?
We needed to fetch water for our cups of tea as the man who fetched the caravan and works van didn't know where the tap was. I make a large tea pot of tea. We have lunch and as I have not done anything. There is nothing for me to do I go home again meeting these two characters on the long walk back to the car.

As I had discovered some ancient horse biscuits in one of my many layers. I broke them up and offered them around.

I think they enjoyed them. I was sitting on the bench for this photo and this was the third biscuit.
It wasn't a totally wasted day. One of the other volunteers is a plumber and I need one of those. He did the plumbing on the trip boat Seth Ellis so hopefully he will be able to do mine for me. Although mine will be a little bit more extensive.

1 comment:
A touch of 'piss up in a brewery' perhaps?
Well done though Kath, you did try..
Post a Comment