Monday, 20 September 2010

Touching canals

This weekend I took a load of stuff down to my parents on the South Coast.  Luckily before I reached J28 on the M1 and the A38 the road signage changed from congestion between J26 and J24 to Road closed at J25.  I was thus able to head off down the A38.  I should have turned left onto the A444 at Burton but as I was so close I detoured to check on the boat.  It was fine.

Going down different roads but ones I was now familiar with due to the recent car/boat/bike shuffling made a nice change from my usual route down to the parents.  M1 to J20, A5 to Towcester, A43, A34, M3, M27.  Instead it was lovely country roads and of course plenty of canals to cross over and travel beside as well as names off to the left/right indicating places I had been through on the boat.

So I clocked up the Trent and Mersey, the Coventry Canal, and due to a slight error in Coventry the bit of Coventry Canal I haven't yet been on with the boat, The Grand Union, the Oxford, the Kennet and Avon and the Chichester Canal.  (not sure if I managed the Birmingham and Fazeley or not)  Still I felt an impressive array for one journey.

Banbury annoyed me because I knew the road went straight through to Oxford but I hadn't appreciated that the road name changed so looking for the A423 was no help at all and of course it doesn't indicate a route to Oxford because they would rather you went on the Motorway.  I did eventually click that Adderbury was on my route so all was well.  Bonus I crossed the Oxford Canal twice.

Passing Thrupp I considered calling in to have a cup of tea with Bones and Maffi but decided as I was running late not to bother and then I spotted Granny Buttons.  I did not see the great man Andrew Denny himself as the person sprawled all over his hatchway was most definitely not him.  It sported a lot of long hair.

On the way back I decided that the new route was much nicer than the old so I did a variation which spat me out onto the M1 at J23a.  Passing Granny Buttons again, this time I spotted that Milly M was right up close and personal with Granny.  Is that wise at their age?

I love my Fiat Panda and despite taking a detour I still only clocked up 6hours driving down and 5.5 hours coming back and an average of 74.5mpg

Who needs motorways.

5 comments:

MortimerBones said...

next time you must stop! I suspect it was Maffi on GBs boat... he is wearing his hair like a wig at the moment (with pride too). As it happens I am not in Thrupp so I wouldn't have been there, but next time....

nb.bobcat said...

Who ever it was appeared to be listening to the hatch. Most strange.

Maffi said...

'Twas probably me I did run the engine for GB to top up the batteries. Yes I do have more hair than is proper for a respectable ex military man, but hey most are really jealous. You should have stopped I dont bite . . . .often.

nb.bobcat said...

I know you don't bite (much) but I was severely behind schedule and absolutely knackered with still another 2 half hours driving to do!

MortimerBones said...

Maffi - jealous? WHO is jealous!! Lol