Saturday, 4 September 2010

Moving out

Thursday was very tiring.  Due to various people including ex husband letting us down small boy and I had to do his moving by ourselves with a Fiat Panda.  I am so glad I went for the option with split sliding rear seats.

First trip went well, we were lent parking sticker and bay plus key fob to open gates etc by another tenant.  Very trusting of her small boy gave her a bottle of wine as a thank you.

I was left next to car guarding his contents whilst he did the long trek through doors that all open outwards to his flat.  I worked out that his flat must overlook where we were parked so suggested he open doors onto his balcony and we rope and bag stuff up.  This was very successful indeed and the rest of that car load went up that way.

Second trip involved using the motorbike trailer (having scoped out the destination on first trip).  On the passenger side of the car went wardrobe sides, Ikea unit shelves (8ft long), bed frame, slats and footboard.  On the trailer - tarpaulin, then my double mattress, backboard for wardrobe, base of Ikea unit (could have gone in car but was a bit too wide and would have interfered with gear changes), desktable top and the headboard were all strapped down onto it.  Not that well but luckily in the next village a diy store has finally opened (6 years late) so we pulled in there and bought some more rope and bungee straps. The Ikea board was attempting an escape as it was only held in by the cheap tarpaulin which might not have survived the trip.  Whilst unwrapping my cats cradle at the flat a man who wanted to do a floorplan and energy audit of the flat arrived and I felt it would be a waste if he didn't carry something up so gave him the legs off the desk.

While he was doing his audit we returned to passing things up to the balcony.  Wardrobe sides, bed frame and ikea unit were all long enough to be reached without resorting to the rope basket trick and everything else fitted in the bags and were hauled up.  I took the opportunity of there being two people in the flat and collared two lads sitting out their flat and between us the mattress also made that route into the flat.  The desktable top was the only thing that had to be carried the long way out of that car load.

Third car load was all his precious stuff so once again I stayed by the car while he took 3 guitars, amps, computer, tv etc etc up.I was allowed to assist once we were down to clothes and kitchen stuff.  I persuaded him to let me help him put the bed back together so if nothing else he could sleep well.  Finally left at 7.30pm and was too tired to cook but of course I couldn't have a marmite or bovril sandwich as I had given them to him.  Eggy bread? No he had the eggs. In the end had to make a small baked potato 9mins in the microwave (at least I hadn't given him the butter.  Hopefully his friend arrived after I had gone to help him put units, wardrobe and desk back together.

I hope he will be happy once he has settled in.  All the people in the surrounding flats that we met seemed friendly and quite a few are at University so about the same age as him.  I now have to organise moving to Rob's and getting my house ready for selling.  Rob's car has towbar and electrics so might hire a proper trailer for my move!  At £15 for a day a better bargain than hiring a van.  I don't have electrics so didn't want to use a trailer that would by itself block view to my indicators.

Okay now to work.

No comments: