Wednesday, 7 October 2009

String

I like playing with string and knots etc so I had a field day today.

I folded over one of the large white tarpaulins (actually I did both of them but the one in better nick had two holes that when it was folded fell in exactly the same place - mutter mutter spit spit). The one did I use had an enormous hole where we had got frustrated taking it down and attacked it with a pair of scissors - I digress - again. This one when folded did not have a matching hole therefore a result. Of sorts.

You must remember these tarps are HUGE. I attached the bottom double ends to Bryans frame farm side and one end to the bottom field side and then with Bryan's help managed to get it up and over to recover his frame. (His tarps had got so many holes in them now that it was virtually useless in keeping the rain out of the engine bay). Let me tell you it was not easy working out which bit of billowing white tarp to pull and which to leave well alone. Eventually it did start to make sense.

I then spent hours playing with string (rope) to hold it down. Some round turns and several half hitches - the more the merrier in my book.

Dearly beloved has bought me a lovely book of knots and by carefully following the diagrams I have managed to do a bit of splicing but you know when it comes down to it you can't beat a good granny knot.

No comments: