Monday, 15 June 2009

Wonderful Weekend

I went to pick up my canoe on Saturday Morning from Desperate Measures in Nottingham. The staff were lovely and made me a cup of tea and everything. One of the lads was designated official photographer and he took some wonderful shots. I know cos I vetted them!

Unfortunately I have since been told that his camera was stolen. They caught it all on cctv so hopefully they get it back. Upshot is you may or may not get a photograph of me receiving said item. The alternative is one I sent to them of me in the canoe taken by Rob on our maiden voyage. To keep you in suspenders I will not upload that photo onto the blog!

As I realised the logistics of carrying a 16foot rigid canoe on top of a 12foot Fiat Panda were not good I asked for an inflatable one as an alternative.

So I now know that my tender does not want to be called Skidoo as it has a perfectly good name of its own...


Please meet Tomcat, Bobcat's little friend.


We took our maiden voyage on the Cromford Canal and as a Derbyshire Ranger caught us setting off we were given instructions to go all the way to High Peak and speak to the lady in the information centre who would take our money off us. As it is an area of scientific whatsit you have to book apparently. Well we know for next time.

It was all going swimmingly until just before High Peak when we met this. It was a toss up whether we turned around or not but being an honest soul we kept going intrepid explorers that we are.









This is Rob doing his Shallow Hal impersonation when I got out to fetch icecreams and pay our £1.50. We have since moved his seat further forward so hopefully in future we will not pull weed in through the back self bailing holes! Yeuch.






It is tough paddling when you are unfit and your partner insists on doing manly paddling on his side of the canoe. You can imagine our track was not a straight line.




So it was a relief to see Cromford in the distance. Back to base, brilliant.




Then on Sunday we went on his BMW (no squealing at all even though he did creep up to over 60mph) to the trotting races.


We were doing well on picking horses with a vaguely watery theme but by the end of our sixth race we were down our original bet each of £1. We would have done better but when it was Rob's turn he couldn't see a watery theme so chose Best Mate which came in second to last whilst Reed Lark came in first - I ask you!













4 comments:

NB Willawaw said...

Good to see - we use a Grabner inflatable canoe as a tender for our narrowboat.

nb.bobcat said...

I know aren't they brilliant? We were going to get one anyway but a free one is even better!

Perhaps we will meet up on a tributary somewhere with lashings of ginger beer.

Must get splicing my rope for a painter or two for it.

Andy Tidy said...

I have spent quite a bit of time walking around the Cromford Canal and was ponbering a trip in our kayaks. How much did it cost and how far could you get? The channel looked to be pretty well silted up after the tunnel, but improved again after the Derwent Hotel.
I would love to borrow the book you kindly offered. I will let you have details by e-mail.
Andy

nb.bobcat said...

We were allowed to go from Cromford to High Peak Junction about 1 mile.

Very shallow.

The rest is not currently allowed due to nesting birds etc.

Grand total of £1.50.

email nb dot bobcat at gmail dot com