Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Slightly different view



Courtesy of my Mikuni Man I now have two holes in my roof. As we leapt into this event without thinking things through we discovered that the vents did not come with seals. Sealant was required and none to be found and it was threatening rain!

Steve came to the rescue with a roll of adhesive sealent from seals+direct that he luckily had left over from fitting his portholes! I was then sent out on an errand to get the correct bolts to fix the vents to the roof and also a tap and die set as Mikuni Man does not do self tapping screws.

I visited Screwfix in Mansfield but no joy on the M4's (admittedly didn't check on the tap and die) so went to nearest B&Q. Got the M4 bolts but only bigger stores do the tap and die set. I misheard and went across town to the other B&Q on my way back to boat and they too were a small store but there was a mega store in Sutton in Ashfield. Of course there was - idiot girl - that was where I was told to go in the first place if only ears and brain had been in the same gear. In my defence I was now starving hungry and rapidly losing the will to live.

So I complete the triangle of Mansfield located the tap and die set and drill bits etc etc and also a Bakewell tart that was like sawdust but saved the day.

I now have two solar vents that are wurring away nicely. The starboard one is for the Compost Toilet the port side one for the gas hob. I don't actually need them for ventilation purposes as the vents on the pigeon boxes are more than adequate. They are an active element to compliment the passive.


And here is my current oiling joy.








Isn't it the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?

I may or may not have mentioned earlier but my Dad picked up a bit of Greenheart whilst doing his early morning beach combing ten years ago. He still had some left over and did I want it? Yes I did and we discovered that there was enough to make my four sills for the hatches. Which is ideal as any condensation dripping onto them will have no effect whatsoever. If Greenheart is what they make piers out of ...

This one is for the front hatch in the office/bedroom.

I brought it home to finish the oiling and can't bear to part with it. I think it now has at least six layers of oil on. Really must let it dry so that Bryan can fit it. I look forward to nurturing the other three once he has made them look pretty.

Come to me my precious ...

On a lighter note I go to pick up my canoe on Saturday.

No comments: