Thursday, 4 June 2015

We are so posh

 So it would appear part of the problem with the lead acid replacement batteries was that the solar panels were no longer working.

I removed them myself


This is what I found.  
This is the dreaded combination of silicon thinners used by my first boat painter Liz Portas in error
 (she was unaware that silicon is an absolute no no.)
 and water getting under the stick on panels.  
I should have let the second boat painter (Rob Bryan - Ashby Canal)  remove the panels and deal with the underside at the same time as he did the rest of the boat.  Hey ho.


and then Gareth from Shobnall Marina very kindly sorted out the mess and painted a rectangle of black - we felt trying to match the cream would have been impossible.

He found some interesting things under the paint.  Mainly a curious set of four semi circles.  I looked at them and immediately knew what they were.  Clearly Mel Davis had intended putting my centre line there and realised it was in the wrong place!  He filled in the gouges and did the first coat of primer so no one was any the wiser until now.



So here is the new black rectangle


now covered with the new solar panels from Tim at onboard solar


I spent the rest of the day obsessed with the readouts.  I got a lot of exercise up and down like a yo yo within an hour of fitting they had got the batteries from 94% to 96%.  By evening they peaked at 99% before the sun went down and the fridge did it's level best to take it all out again.  At 10pm it was 85% and I bottled it and turned the fridge off.  No idea what happened overnight but by the time I switched the engine on to move at 9.20am it was up to 87%


And today I met back up with the little chimney company and had my new chimney fitted.  It is in two halves and the bottom half at 8 inches should go through tunnels okay but it can still be removed if necessary.  It weirdly looks taller than the old chimney but I can assure you that it is an optical illusion.

Regarding the batteries I will give them the rest of the summer to improve before returning to gel ones I think.  One must be duff - but which one and by now it has probably ruined the others.  
Off to check the levels again.
 

1 comment:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

OK I have found you to. Hope you get the batteries sorted OK.