Well I finally girded my loins and checked the levels in the 'new' lead acid batteries. I had been told in no uncertain terms that I should have checked them every month! Ooops.
The four easily accessible ones were okay to deal with. However the one under the electric cupboard on the swim not so much fun.
I had to undo the engine surround, lie on the battery box, squeeze under the wooden beam surrounding the engine that the floor panels rest on, then hover in the unsupported yoga snake position whilst undoing the 6 caps using a 20p piece gripped with mole grips in left hand and right hand holding it in the slot. Then placing a small funnel in the holes and pouring using a small china milk jug! All in all I used about 4 litres of distilled water over the five batteries.
I am pretty sure that the problem I have been having is down to the battery on the swim as I think the first cell was very very low. I will only know for sure when I can actually check the level in it. I bought some drinking straws on the way home for this purpose but on returning to the boat I left them in the car and Rob has taken them home again. Snarpip!!!
Blue Buzzard who told me to check the levels in the first place says I now have to do it every week! On account of the amount of water I had to replace and the potential damage I have already done to these batteries. Frankly I don't care if they die a tragic early death - I want gel ones again! Stamps her foot in annoyance.
A big decision to make
5 weeks ago

3 comments:
Why not get maintenance free sealed batteries?
We were rubbish at remembering to top ours up as they are really difficult to access so swapped them for sealed ones and they do the job just fine.
Our last set lasted almost four years until they started to let us down. We gave them away and they are still in use but not good enough for what we needed.
It would seem that you have something over-charging the batteries Kath.
On Eolian, our 6 batteries get checked once a year, and use something on the order of a liter or less of water.
And damn! Aren't batteries expensive!
bob
Naughty Cal - I was persuaded to get the lead acid ones - and let me tell you as soon as they go completely ******* I will be going back to what I had before.
Bob
I think the battery on the swim may be duff and bringing the others down with it. I tried to check the level on Monday with a straw from the cafe BUT I have now ruined the cap on the questionable cell so it can't be undone at all now. DOH. So at some stage I will be bypassing this battery. (I am investigating replacement batteries) I am also going to get a solar expert to look at the solar panels as they don't seem to be putting anything into the batteries at all. So many variables.
Post a Comment