Saturday 29th May 2010
So I set off from Clayworth to West Stockwith at about 9am. It was a drizzly day and not much fun due to the shallowness and weediness of the canal. Stopped for an early lunch at Drakeholes as I knew there would be no other chances. Felt I was unwelcome as a gentleman and I use the term loosely in another boat that had overtaken me way back at Clayworth looked at me. I can't explain it. Previously when we had met coming the other way we hadn't had a problem as we met just outside the Chequers Inn at Ranby and I went onto the moorings however on speaking to the cruiser that had been following me (and helping me at locks) they had been run into the bushes and aground without any ceremony. When I let him overtake me he got cross because my bows were stuck onto his rear due to catching his slipstream. He shouted back that unless I stopped he couldn't overtake I replied that I was in reverse!!! Basically one of those that give boaters a bad name I think.
Anyway I carried on and did the next three double locks solo and it was tough. By the last one I was exhausted and was bowhauling my boat across the pound when some hirers from West Stockwith with loads of crew in two boats 'stole' my lock. Fair enough as I was struggling to get the boat back from the otherside of the pound but when they left me with both gates open and paddles up I could have wept.
Rob arrived later and then my ex and his partner came to view the boat since they live nearby. We then did the car shuffle collecting the company car from Clayworth and taking it across to Torksey.
Sunday
Up early ready to head out onto the Trent. As the other boat was filling with diesel I took the opportunity to fill my tank up completely. We can now see exactly how far a full tank will get me. The trip was uneventful and better weather. I may attempt the next hop on my own as I may have to travel during the week when crew will be thin on the ground.
Monday
Rob left about lunchtime and I set off towards Lincoln. I stopped at Saxilby.
Tuesday
Cat went out about 9am and didn't return until 9.30pm. It was a rainy dismal day so I didn't mind not moving (I did at least get some work done) but would have preferred not to have to worry about her possibly being squashed by a train as the line was very close to the boat. When I popped out to post the wages off I was disconcerted to see several 'my cat is missing' type posters up in the shop windows!!
Wednesday
We set off towards Lincoln but the moorings just before Burton Waters looked very inviting so we pulled in. We lounged in the sunshine and generally chilled. Apart from the trains going passed the cat was fine, I think she must have been slightly traumatised the day before by being stuck in the undergrowth with trains going past but not daring to return to the boat due to people and dogs. Oh yes we also had several flypasts by the Red Arrows but they were too quick for me to take a photo.
Thursday
Leisurely start to the day, turned around in the Marina entrance and set off back to Torksey. At Saxilby we had to hang around near the wharf whilst an enormous cruiser/gin palace edged it's way through/under the rail bridge. Probably a good job a train didn't go over at the crucial moment. They apologised for holding me up. They must have decided not to try and get any further as they caught us up near Torksey. They overtook the narrowboat behind us okay but when he passed me his engine suddenly went bang and they stopped. I asked him what had happened and he said he had gone aground having left me too much space! It was hilarious to see the previously indolent crew leap up and start running backwards and forwards to rock the boat. When they finally passed us after we had moored up he said at least he no longer had to take them for a walk! Nice people. Made a change as most cruisers and gin palaces on the Fossdyke do not slow down for moored craft. At Burton Waters I had had to use 4 mooring pins in the end as I had moored way up one end for the cat and couldn't make use of the bollards.
A big decision to make
5 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment