Friday, 1 January 2016

January 2016

Well I have decided that I will attempt to write at least one post every month.  Then I looked back at last year and discovered that I had actually done that!  Except for January 2015.

Well what can I say.  I woke up this morning and there was frost on the ground and the cars.  Now this is my first frost of the winter and I liked the fact that it was also on the first day of 2016.  There may have been a frost in November as I believe there was also snow but I was in New Zealand enjoying the sunshine so as far as I am concerned it didn't happen.  Dearly beloved is still living it large in New Zealand and for once was one of those who get to see the New Year in first.

He had his birthday out there and we decided that he hadn't got a year older until his birthday had passed here in England.  The things we do to cling on to our Youf.

While I was down on the south coast and then in London over Christmas we enjoyed dry warm weather and I escaped on Christmas day morning and did a two hour walk up and down the Thames on both sides.  Up to Putney over on the footbridge and back on the South Side I got my narrowboat fix as there was one looking so tiddy tied to one of the enormous boats.  Just before Wandsworth Bridge I got a call from my mother to say hurry back we were due at my Brother's earlier than expected!  Needless to say I got back at 12pm (half an hour after the call and was washed and changed in 5 minutes) and we arrived on time.  Others arrived later.  So glad I had missed out on the kitchen dramas and my Dad whittling about when to leave.

It therefore came as a shock to read about the floods up north. 

A friend of mine is looking after a farmhouse up on the hills above Hebden Bridge - I don't know whether anyone has taken up her offer of a dry place to stay but as it is a bit awkward to get to probably not.

and York what a disaster.  So sad the Jorvik centre got flooded but glad they managed to hold off the water and save the precious artifacts.  I remember taking my son around it when he was little and finding the smell of the pigsty preferable to that of the hovel!

While in NZ we travelled around the treetops near Rotarua on zip wires.  Loved it.  Hopefully we will head to Wales and play on the one there sometime this year.

I don't often visit the canal forum website these days but I had a quick peak yesterday to see if there was anything about the floods and boats since the news don't really focus on that aspect and was very surprised to see a photograph of Bobcat so that a newby could see how to get a motorbike onto a narrowboat! 

I is famoose at last!

Hopefully since himself is finally retired he and I will travel together more this year and the motorbike will finally make itself useful.

So there we have it the first post for 2016

May it be a fun year all round.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

No comments: