Saturday, 17 July 2010

Ghost boats

I have been thinking about it a lot recently.

One night on the Trent and Mersey Canal just below a lock (I can't remember which one) about 1min after midnight I heard a gentle throbbing of a 'proper' boat engine that gradually got louder (but never too loud) and then faded away again.

My boat never moved, twitched or otherwise acknowledged it's passing.

I was left wondering if I had really heard it or just imagined it.

Or indeed had a canal ghost just past me by?

2 comments:

Robert Salnick said...

*shiver*

nb.bobcat said...

Indeed

If it had passed through the lock and the lock was set against it then I should have felt the boat move when the lock was emptied.

If set in it's favour then perhaps a silent passage could have been made as there was no boat moored up in front when I woke up.